Most of us know how important it is to buy only natural peanut butter. The dangerous trans-fats that are added to most commercial peanut butters (partially hydrogenated oils) are toxic to our bodies. That said, have you purchased a natural nut butter and been disappointed with how difficult it is to stir in the separated oil? (I know, I know, there are some brands of natural butters that don't require stirring. But when I find a deal, I can't pass it up.) This month at my favorite discount grocery store - they've had a great selection of almond butter and cashew butters at a GREAT price. Cashew butter is normally WAY expensive, so I stocked up. The only bummer was, when I got it home, I realized it was UNSALTED. Hmmmm.. not so good. It was also REALLY hard to stir. The cashew butter beneath the oil was tough to blend in. So, I set out to remedy the situation.
I dumped out the whole jar into my kitchen aid mixer. Added my kosher salt. And it occurred to me. ... I could blend this, but what would make it creamier and easy to spread?
I did a little happy dance, and then spooned in 3 heaping tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil to the butter blend. It whipped up beautifully. I added maybe one tablespoon of honey, as well (not really necessary) - but when I poured it back into the jar and tasted it, I was in heaven. The oils have not separated after this, and the jar is almost empty already!
Before I move on, I must stop and tell you why we could not live without this miracle food (Coconut Oil) in our home. Here is a book that goes into great detail about how amazing Coconut Oil is for your health. One of the primary reasons it's so amazing, is that it's rich in Lauric Acid (which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. ) It is important to note - if you want the health benefits of the oil - only buy Virgin Coconut Oil. Regular 'Coconut Oil' may be more affordable, but it's usually been refined and the structure has been altered. Read more about that here.
- It is useful as a supplement (some people actually take 2 tablespoons per day) to prevent weight gain, and boost their metabolism!
- It has natural antiviral, antibacterial & antifungal properties - so we use it on any cuts and scrapes to prevent infection (as well as Silver Sol gel).
- It is wonderful for the skin - as a moisturizer or massage oil.
- I even use it in a natural deoderant recipe - that works 10x better than all of the natural deoderant brands I've tried! (I will share this soon)
- As far as cooking goes, it is one of the stable oils at high temperatures- so we will sautee with it.
- I also subsititute coconut oil for butter in many of my baking recipes. (I have a to-die-for chocolate almond flour coconut cookie recipe to share that calls for it).
- And one last Coconut Oil idea: popcorn. Melted coconut oil on your popcorn in place of butter is so, SO good!
I could write an entire post on the benefits of Coconut oil - but here is one more article that tells more detail. If you google 'health benefits of coconut oil' you will be amazed at what you'll find! To sum up - try to find ways to incorporate this wonderful superfood into your diet!
Back to the cashew butter. You can add Coconut Oil to any stiff-and-hard-to-stir nut butter in your pantry. Do you like the flavor of nutmeg or cinnamon? Add it! Have fun experimenting...